Wednesday, October 14, 2009

God is a Fly Fisherman- A BMW Story


Back in 1984 or 1985 I was a podiatrist in a new practice and quite poor and having trouble getting to my job and to my surgeries in my old Volvo.  In frustration I prayed and complained to the Lord, "Lord, I have never had a new car, and I need a car to get to work."
I talked to my wife and she agreed that I needed reliable transportation. One day we were out driving and on impulse pulled into the first car dealership that we saw.  It was a Chrysler, Mitsubishi, BMW dealership.  Right away our eyes fell on a specific spiffy white 325 BMW.  We were having fun so we took it for a test drive. We liked it.  The interior lights were cool, it was tight and handled great, and the engine sounded like a jet fighter.
We liked the car.  We also had no money, and our convictions made us believe that such a purchase flew in the face of  Christian teaching on modesty and stewardship.  So we said, 'thank you very much' to Ron, the car salesman, and left.  However, we were very drawn to that car and it seemed to us that the Holy Spirit wanted us to get that car.
We thought we were imagnining things, so we went and looked at a practical car, a very nice Toyota Camry, also white.  It was a great car but we felt a 'no', in our hearts.  Well, fascinating. This went on for a few weeks and we went back and looked at the BMW again and still found the peculiar 'leading.'
We were going to a charismatic chuch and told a lady at the church about this particular adventure.  The next week she came up to us and said,  "I had a dream or a vision and I saw the initials B.M.W.  in a column and they spelled out Ben Marston's Wheels."  This was quite interesting and also raised the question- is this of God or from somewhere else?  We had to test the spirit.
Finally, one day I went for a prayer walk at lunch as was often my custom and I told the Lord "OK, Lord, it seems you want us to have that BMW, and that specific model.  But if you want us to have it, you will have to get it for us because we don't have any money."
I returned to the office and the postman had just come and left and in the mail was a letter informing us that a house that had been given to Mary in the passing of her parents had been sold and we were to receive enough money to cover the cost of the BMW plus some. Wow.  We got the car.

In the process we struck up a friendship with Ron, the car salesman.  Some time later he came in to my office as a patient. He was dying of an autoimmune disease that was destroying his kidneys.  He also had a leg pain that he hoped I could help, and I managed to help him with anesthetic blocks to his common peroneal nerve that would last a period of time.  It seemed to me that something spiritual was going on in his life, and so I invited him over to our house for a prayer meeting. Mary and I had an interesting way of cooperating in prayer meetings with the gifts of the Spirit working to inform us supernaturally and to empower the prayers.
We began praying for Ron, and he went unconscious and something took over him. Mary had been forewarned by the Lord and Mary bound a spirit that had put Ron in a martial arts position to take us out.
The thing then made him bend the knee at the name of Jesus.
We backed off and allowed Ron to 'surface.'  We told him was was going on, and asked him if there was any sin that he needed to confess and we prayed for him and he remembered an instance on one of his four tours of duty in Viet Nam with special forces. He had killed a Russian advisor to the N. Vietnamese in Cambodia, and he had killed him by a knife stab to the right kidney.

Now that was very interesting. Ron, was dying of kidney failure and his right kidney was already at zero percent function.  So we suggested that he repent in prayer for the killing.  He did so and then we laid hands on him and began to pray for him.  Mary saw the room fill up with angels, and Ron said somewhat the same and thought I had picked him up off the ground.  It was quite an experience of the power of God.
After that Ron got better, and over the next several weeks his kidney function progressively restored being documented by the kidney function tests he took regularly.
Afterwards, Ron, who was still quite troubled by the horrors of special forces and four tours in Viet Nam, wound up in prison, but the combination of events eventually led him to surrender his life to Jesus and he became a quite sweet believer.  He died at a young age.
A few years later Mary and I were becoming Orthodox and were learning to accept the communion of Saints. Mary and I were driving about on her birthday and suddenly it seemed like Ron was wishing her happy birthday in the spirit; I mentioned it to Mary and she said the same thing was happening to her.

Ron, from his vantage place in heaven, was helping us now along the Christian way.  The BMW was a blessed car and saved me in the midst of an interstate wreck.  Finally I had to sell it due to an economic reversal, and wound up with a black older car- just in time for our sojourn with the Mennonites who would have frowned at the extravagance of our spiffy, yuppie white BMW.

No comments:

Post a Comment